Neurology is the branch of medicine that deals with the medical management of the nervous system and its disorders. This encompasses a wide spectrum including nerve and muscle diseases as well as brain and spinal cord problems. Neurologists are doctors that specialize in treating patients with neurological disorders. When surgery on the nervous system is required, this is usually performed by neurosurgeons.
There are more than 600 neurological diseases, some of which include Parkinson’s disease, brain tumour and meningitis. People suffering from neurological disorders have no control over their muscles and experience frequent hallucinations and sleep paralysis.
Don’t Be Nervous!
Neurological diseases, which are disorders of the brain, spinal cord and nerves, may cause extreme emotional and physical pain. Some forms of treatment are lifestyle changes, physiotherapy, pain management and neurorehabilitation. Are you a victim? Do not suffer in silence. If you are experiencing symptoms of neurological disorders, seek help from a neurologist immediately. You will be put through a series of examinations to determine the diagnosis. These examinations will test your mental status, vision, coordination and reflexes.
Common Neurological Disorders
- Headache disorders (e.g. migrane, tension headache)
- Epilepsy and seizure disorders
- Neurodegenerative disorders (e.g. dementia, Alzheimer’s disease)
- Cerebrovascular disease (strokes, transient ischemic attacks)
- Sleep disorders
- Cerebral palsy
- Bacterial, fungal, viral and parasitic infections of the central nervous system (e.g., encephalitis), meningitis, tetanus, botulism
- Tumours of the brain
- Movement disorders (Parkinson’s disease, Tourette Syndrome)
- Multiple sclerosis
- Spinal cord disorders
- Disorders of peripheral nerves, muscle and neuromuscular junctions
- Traumatic injuries to the brain, spinal cord and peripheral nerves
- Altered mental status, encephalopathy, stupor and coma
- Limb weakness or numbness
- Gait and/or speech difficulties,
- Difficulties with vision
- Memory problems