Respiratory medicine is the branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the lungs and the respiratory tract (including the trachea, bronchi, and bronchioles).
Surgery of the respiratory tract in Singapore is generally performed by a specialist called a cardiothoracic surgeon.
BREATHE IN, BREATHE OUT
Is It Difficult to Breathe?
Respiratory problems are caused by infections or inflammation within the lungs and cause a lot of difficulty in breathing. About a third of daily emergency admissions in hospitals are associated with respiratory problems and conditions of the lungs. Respiratory problems can be treated before they lead to further complications such as rapid heart rates, low blood pressure, and even death.
Respiratory medicine involves the care and treatment of all respiratory problems. Trained physicians provide medication and treatments to assist your breathing as well as to care for your respiratory system. Respiratory problems may also be triggered by underlying diseases. Visiting a medical practitioner can provide early detection and diagnosis.
- Chronic Obstructive Airway Disease (COPD)
- Lung cancer
- Obstructive Sleep Apnoea Syndrome
- Diffuse Interstitial Lung Disease
- Chronic cough
- Chest tightness or discomfort
- Breathlessness – resting or exertional
- Sputum production – mucoid or blood stained
- Chest pain especially on breathing
- Loud snoring or choking during sleep