Obstetrics is the branch of medicine that deals with the care of women and their offspring during pregnancy, childbirth and the post-natal period. Most gynaecologists are also obstetricians.
Gynaecology is the branch of medicine that deals with diseases of the female reproductive system (uterus, vagina and ovaries).
BRINGING BABY BACK
Pregnant With Hope
Obstetrics specialises in the medical care of women’s reproductive tracts and their children during pregnancy (prenatal period), childbirth and the postnatal period. A common example of a pregnancy complication would be ectopic pregnancy, whereby an embryo implants in the Fallopian tube, the ovary or inside the peritoneal cavity, thus causing massive bleeding.
Caring For Two
Even as routine complications usually pose no danger, severe pregnancy emergencies may cause both maternal and foetal death. It is important to ensure the stability of your pregnancy prior to labour. Visit a gynaecologist – he or she will arrange for physical examinations and ultra scans that will keep you updated on the status of your unborn child and of your body. Also, it is advisable to adopt high-protein diets while getting plenty of exercise during the period of pregnancy. This increases the body’s endurance. Following the first few weeks of labour, the mother and child are vulnerable to infections and diseases; it is therefore important to follow up with postnatal checkups.
Common Conditions and Procedures
- Pre-pregnancy check ups
- Routine pregnancy consultations
- Routine ultrasound scans in pregnancy
- High Resolution Down’s Syndrome Screening in Early Pregnancy
- High Resolution Ultrasound Fetal Scanning
- Antenatal fetal monitoring
- Normal vaginal delivery
- Assisted vaginal delivery
- Caesarean section delivery
Common Issues In Pregnancy
- Vaginal bleeding
- Abnormal vaginal discharge
- Twins and other multiple pregnancies
- Smaller babies
- Larger babies
- Diabetes in pregnancy
- Hypertension in pregnancy
- Placenta Praevia
- Rhesus negative mothers
- Fetal distress in labour
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Obstetrical & Gynaecological Society of Singapore